SCCM 2012 R2 issues after upgrade to R2 SP1

After my latest encounter with a few software updates causing my OSD Task Sequences to fail, due to the dreaded unexpected reboot issue, I called it time to upgrade to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1, coming from R2 with CU5.

Determined to avoid the well known pitfalls, I checked the latest backup was OK, the overall status of my site was healthy and I also ran a test of the upgrade on a copy of the database. See this TechNet article and Nickolaj’s great post for step-by-step instructions on that. It’s a must! And I’ll throw in a note for when you’re setting up your test VM: regardless of your SQL instance being SQL 2008 R2 or 2012 or whatever, be sure to also install the SQL 2012 Native Client or the test upgrade wizard will fail! It does tell you why, but I failed to see I had the wrong version of the Native Client, until I read it for the third time… So don’t be as daft as I was.

The actual Service Pack upgrade didn’t take more than half an hour in my production environment with a database close to 30 GB in size. No errors in the ConfigMgrSetup log and all was good! Checked the build numbers, upgraded the console (you need to or you won’t be able to connect to the upgraded site!) and had a look around for new features and options. First thing I did was to check the preferred Management Points option in the Hierarchy settings. Read about it and other new SP1 features over at systemcenterdudes.com.

Then for the main reason why I made the SP1 upgrade a top priority: unexpected reboots during Task Sequences, due to certain software updates. Let me tell you: it still ain’t fixed! At least not in my experience. And I’m not the only one to report this, as seen here. The updates do get installed successfully, but the Task Sequence comes to an early end. Will update when I know of a fix.

And then for another issue I had with 2 out of 5 management points. They showed up as critical in the Site Status overview. The error, as stated in the Status Message Viewer:

“MP Control Manager detected management point is not responding to HTTP requests. The HTTP status code and text is 500, Internal Server Error.”

This is an often talked about error in blog posts and forums, all with solutions ranging from registering ASP.NET v4.x on IIS to reinstalling the Management Point altogether. After trying that first suggestion and not seeing the desired result, I looked at the MP installation logs, but they were clean. So were other SMS and CCM logs. All except the mpcontrol.log:

Call to HttpSendRequestSync failed for port 80 with status code 500, text: Internal Server Error
Http test request failed, status code is 500, ‘Internal Server Error’

Solution

Eventually, the System and Application logs in Windows’ Event Viewer provided the key to my solution:

Application Error – Event ID 1000:
Faulting application name: CcmExec.exe, version: 5.0.8239.1000, time stamp: 0x552cf4e3
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1677
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000940d
Faulting process id: 0x1028
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0bed5e6c93139
Faulting application path: D:\SMS_CCM\CcmExec.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 274239f9-2ac9-11e5-a783-22b3b07b2546

Service Control Manager – Event ID 7031
The SMS Agent Host service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 194 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

So the CCM agent was broken. A simple push installation initiated from within the SCCM console, a few minutes later, and the agent was fixed and upgraded to build 5.0.8239.1000. Another look at mpcontrol.log, to my relief, showed

Call to HttpSendRequestSync succeeded for port 80 with status code 200, text: OK

and my site status showed up green after some time. All good! FYI, the other 3 MP’s got their client auto-upgrade at random times, but never did they manifest the MP status 500 error nor did the CCMExec service crash.

As for the issue with the cursed software updates causing my Task Sequences to trip over themselves, I’m back to disabling the Install Software Updates step until there’s a solid fix.

2016-12-11T18:05:38+00:00 June 2nd, 2016|
SecureLink

SecureLink

X